It is quite unfortunate that mother nature has programmed all women to only remain fertile until they reach the age of 45 -50 before menopause begins. In addition, there are women who suffer from premature menopause i.e. 30- 35 years of age. This can be as a result of surgical procedures like removing either the uterus or ovaries. Another common cause is hormonal imbalance in women. The good news is that menopause and its unpleasant symptoms can now be reversed through the replacement of deficient hormones.
Can HRT Reverse Aging ?
Hormone replacement therapy, also known as HRT is a technology that is widely utilized by women all over the globe. These individuals are keen on managing menopausal symptoms. The process of HRT can replenish hormones when the body of the patient has stopped making them in amounts that are sufficient. After this hormonal balance is achieved in women and men then it reverses all the negative effects of aging. The therapy can allow people to experience a good life again.
Therefore, HRT in women mainly refers the replacement of female hormones i.e. progesterone and estrogen that usually reduce with age. The therapy was originally designed to relieve some unpleasant symptoms associated with older women as well as for women who are experiencing premature aging.
Some of the common symptoms of menopause include increased weight gain, slow metabolism, lowered libido, hot flashes. Hormonal imbalance can lead to the following:
- It slows down the process of metabolism
- Balding and hair loss
- Pains and joint problems.
- Mental confusion and anxiety.
- Uncontrolled weight gain.
- Enhanced susceptibility to disease related to age.
- Accelerated signs of aging
- Hot flushes and vaginal dryness in women
- Declining levels of stamina and energy
- Lower libido
This means HRT can reverse aging to provide the following benefits:
- Improved mood that can significantly help people who are suffering from depression and mood swings.
- Heightened libido
- Greater mental focus
- Greater energy
- Preserves bone architecture as well as strength.
The benefits above are not exhaustive as there are many more.
HRT for Men
Recently, research into HRT has greatly expanded to comprise of testosterone supplementation in the male population. The aging benefits of HRT also apply for men because they are also victims of hormonal imbalance. It is these imbalances that lead to premature aging in men through a decline of thyroid and testosterone. Premature aging in men is manifested in the following ways:
- Lower count of red blood cells.
- Weight gain
- Lower bone and muscle mass
- Lowered stamina
- Premature balding and hair loss
- Lowered sperm count and sex drive
Hormone replacement therapy can help in reversing these symptoms to make men feel and look younger. The therapy can also help with male infertility, hypogonadism, osteoporosis etc. The positive effects it can have are as follows:
- It can have a positive effect on the libido in men
- It can also muscle mass in men
- It positively affects haematocrit levels and that of Hgh
- It enhances bone mineral density
- It helps to increase strength as well as mass
There are different forms of HRT available because it can be delivered through the following routes:
- The vaginal route
- The transdermal route
- The oral route
Women with no history of hysterectomies normally receive combined regimens. This means that estrogen hormone and progesterone hormone are combined. This hormonal therapy is administered on a cyclical basis, in a similar fashion to contraceptive pills i.e. daily schedule or continuously.
On the other hand, women with a history of hysterectomies should take a daily dosage of estrogen but without progesterone.
Usually, the reason for starting HRT is what determines the dosage. HRT taken to reverse aging symptoms is used in low but effective doses. This helps in decreasing the chances of the patient experiencing undesired side effects like intermittent vaginal bleeding or breast tenderness.
Vaginal symptoms like painful intercourse, discomfort, itching, and dryness are some frequent complaints of women who are on post-menopause. The treatment of such symptoms using oral HRT is never necessary.
HRT is safe but only if it performed either at the critical window prior to menopause or at the time of menopause. This is important because it helps in decreasing the risk of the patient suffering from heart disease.
Those who start HRT at a late stage, say 10 years after attaining the age of menopause, increase their risk of heart disease. The main reason for this is that receptors that estrogen usually signals its protective effects do not exist.
Furthermore, women who are at a high risk of clotting or heart disease are not advised to undergo hormone replacement therapy due to its detrimental effects to them.
HRT has numerous potential benefits, the notable ones are as follows:
- It is known to decrease the risk of getting colon cancer as well as vision loss related to macular degeneration.
- It slightly decreases the risk of dementia, cognitive decline, stroke and heart attack.
- It significantly decreases or lowers the risk of suffering from osteoporosis (weak bones) and even fracture.
- It prevents and treats the symptoms of menopause such as low mood, lethargy, tiredness and sleeplessness, pelvic floor discomfort, vaginal dryness and hot flushes.
The above benefits are not exhaustive, HRT has many more benefits it can provide.
There are afew risks associated with HRT, the main ones include:
- It increases the risk of gallstones, particularly for people who are overweight.
- HRT can result in intermittent vaginal bleeding.
- It can slightly enhance the risk of suffering from stroke and heart attack. As earlier mentioned, this is for women who start HRT after they are in menopause or those who are at a high risk of heart disease.
- HRT can also increase the risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer slightly.
Hormone replacement therapy is a revolutionary technique that works by replacing hormone levels that are imbalanced. This helps in eliminating premature aging symptoms that are caused by hormonal imbalance. However, it should only be performed at reputable health facilities. Can HRT reverse aging? Yes, it can. It is a potent anti-ageing tonic as shown by the above insightful information.