Have you noticed small hard bumps on your skin? Does it appear pink or light-colored, and sometimes with swelling and redness? Then, you should get your skin checked by your doctor as you might be suffering from Keratosis Pilaris. Despite its harmless effect, Keratosis Pilaris does not look really great on your skin.
Although Keratosis Pilaris has no cure yet, is there a treatment to reduce its severity? Yes, there is. Using castor oil is one of them. This rich natural oil retains the moisture of your skin by keeping it hydrated. Hence, it reduces the severity of the affected skin area of Keratosis Pilaris.
WHAT IS KERATOSIS PILARIS?
Keratosis Pilaris is a common and harmless skin condition. It appears as small hard bumps, often light-colored or pink-colored, on your skin. If worse, a lot of swelling, itching, and redness will also manifest. Keratosis Pilaris commonly appears on thighs, buttocks, upper arms and face area which more likely affects children than adults.
This skin condition occurs when keratin, a protein that protects the skin from infections, clogs the hair follicles. When you leave your skin dry throughout the day, you are also most likely to get Keratosis Pilaris. Further, this condition worsens in winter months when moisture is less in the air and humid is lower.
WHY USE CASTOR OIL?
Castor oil is a natural rich oil which is used in a variety of medical and cosmetic purposes. It is known by providing health benefits to our hair, face, and body. Hence, castor oil is recommended to reduce the severity of Keratosis Pilaris. To understand why castor oil is effective for Keratosis Pilaris, below are few facts:
- It hydrates our skin. Castor oil moisturizes our skin by keeping it hydrated. This primarily helps in curing affected skin areas of Keratosis Pilaris. Regular application of this oil to the affected area will soothe and improve its condition.
- It is made of natural properties. Castor oil is made from the seeds of the plant ricinus communis commonly found in the tropical areas of Asia and Africa. Hence, this can be the best natural alternative to our store-bought lotions and moisturizers. Relatively, castor oil is also safe to use on our skin because of its natural properties.
- It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Castor oil is safe and effective to use. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve pain and itch caused by Keratosis Pilaris.
WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES FOR CASTOR OIL?
Moisturizing cream and lotion, with lactic acid and urea, can serve as alternatives for castor oil. All these, including castor oil, can be bought over the counter. This helps loosen and remove your dead skin cells. Further, this helps moisturize and soften the affected skin area caused by Keratosis Pilaris. Indeed, this will significantly improve your skin to look and feel better especially when applied regularly. For some, laser or light treatment is recommended to lessen the severity of redness and swelling.
Additionally, it is also recommended for you to have a portable humidifier at home. Adding up moisture to your home will help in the fast recovery of your damaged skin area. If you have doubts about using the above alternatives, you might as well consult your doctor for other prescriptions.
HOW DO YOU APPLY IT?
To guide you on how to effectively reduce the severity of your skin’s Keratosis Pilaris, follow these simple steps:
- Wash the affected area with lukewarm water. This helps in cleansing first the affected skin area before you apply the castor oil or other cream solution.
- Get an ample amount of castor oil or cream. Get an ample amount of castor oil or cream and place it on your fingers. This gives you more control as you apply it to the affected area.
- Apply the castor oil or cream to the affected area of the skin. Spread the castor oil or cream as you apply it to the affected area of the skin. Note that all parts must be covered with it. The equal application also helps to restore the natural moisture of your skin.
- Gently rub and massage the affected area. As you apply the castor oil or cream, gently rub and massage it in a circular motion. This helps the affected skin to absorb more the oil that you applied.
- Leave it for a while. You can leave the castor oil or cream on the affected area for five to ten minutes. The longer it stays, the more it absorbs the oil.
- Wash it off your face. After which, wash it gently off your face with lukewarm water. Make sure not to leave any residues. You can repeat this process once or twice a week. Remember that this treatment should not be done excessively.
- Observe changes. Observe changes and improvements in your skin’s condition. If it caused irritation and worse situation, stop the use of the cream or castor oil immediately. Consult your doctor for underlying medical issues. The same is recommended if there is no significant change observed.
- Is coconut oil good for Keratosis Pilaris?
Yes, coconut oil is good for Keratosis Pilaris. Besides, the coconut oil is also one of the best-recommended treatment for Keratosis Pilaris. It also contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, like castor oil, which are beneficial for treating the affected area.
- Is Keratosis Pilaris permanent?
No, Keratosis Pilaris is not permanent. There is no treatment yet, but there’s an agent to lessen its severity. It can disappear as long as you treat it regularly. However, this might take some time.
- Can you pop Keratosis Pilaris?
No, you should not pop your Keratosis Pilaris under any circumstances. By doing so, you might just worsen your skin’s condition and cause irritation.