Marionette lines, also known as laugh lines, are no laughing matter. They are so called because they are most prominent when one laughs. Most people simply don’t like marionette lines. They make one appear to be upset at all times. This can be quite irritating and detract a lot from one’s appearance.
There is no telling when marionette lines will appear. Some people develop them at a relatively young age while for others the lines do not make an appearance until one is quite advanced in age. Regardless, most people silently wish that the dreaded lines never develop on their faces.
There are various ways of dealing with these lines. These include the following:
- Getting a Botox injection
- Getting a facelift
- Using retinoid creams
- Getting dermal fillers
- Using chemical peels
Each method has its pros and cons. However, there is one method that people tend to overlook. Marionette lines facial exercises, though quite effective, are an underrated method of getting rid of the lines. Most people are convinced that the exercise do not produce any results, either due to ignorance or listening to the misinformed opinions of others. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
The exercises are quite simple, and yet they are powerful in eliminating these annoying lines. Here is all you need to know about what causes marionette lines, how facial exercises help to eliminate them and which exercises in particular are the most helpful.
What Causes Marionette Lines?
Research shows that genetics play a major role in determining whether or not you will develop puppet lines. Look at your mother and grandmother, and other members of your family. If they have marionette lines, you will probably also have them.
When you are young, your skin is kept supple and smooth by fat deposits and the production of collagen and elastin. As you age however, the fats get depleted and the skin produces less and less elastin and collagen. This eventually leads to sagging skin and the appearance of creases, some of which include marionette lines.
3. Poor Skin Care Habits
There are certain habits that also accelerate the creation of puppet lines. Skin damage certainly doesn’t help matters. If for instance you are used to exposing your skin to the sun for long hours, chances of developing laugh lines are highly increased. Exposure to the ultra- violet rays of the sun especially between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm can significantly increase your likelihood of developing the stubborn lines.
4. Lifestyle Choices
Your lifestyle choices may also be to blame where laugh lines are concerned. Habits such as smoking only make the appearance of puppet lines more pronounced. Drastic changes in weight also impact on the appearance of the lines. For instance, drastic weight loss means that even facial fats will be quickly depleted, and this leads to sagging and of course, the appearance of marionette lines.
How do Facial Exercises Minimize Marionette Lines?
So, do facial exercises replenish lost fats or do they increase collagen production? Or do they increase the moisture content of your facial skin? How exactly do they help combat these offensive lines?
The exercises may not replenish any of the lost fats, and neither will they stimulate the production of more lines, but they do promote the growth of muscle fibers. The fibers that uplift the muscles, which then fill the voids left by depleted fat deposits and this smoothens the creases. It also prevents the sagging of skin.
Contrary to popular opinion, target exercises do not make much of a difference. Working the cheek muscles alone will not produce as much change as working various facial muscles. Consistency will also help improve the results of your exercises. Set apart time every single day to work your facial muscles. After all, the exercises will barely consume twenty minutes of your entire day. Here are some exercises to try:
Marionette Lines Facial Exercises
- One of the simplest exercises involves imitating the kissing posture. To perform it, lean back on a medium- height chair until you are staring at the ceiling. Then purse your lips and imitate the kissing position in an exaggerated manner. Hold the position for one second. Relax and then repeat at least twenty times. Do this about five times every day, and you should see the laugh lines diminish with time.
- Another exercise that works facial muscles intensely involves stimulating the growth of cheek muscles. To perform it, place your fingers on the laugh lines. Pressing them down firmly, smile as widely as you possibly can. Make sure that your lips are not pursed while you perform this exercise. Hold the position for at least five seconds. Release, and then repeat 30 times. Performing it at least once a day should do the trick.
- Making chewing motions can also help minimize the laugh lines. This is without doubt one of the simplest exercises to perform. Simply recline on your chair with your eyes to the ceiling, and then make chewing motions for about twenty minutes. Doing this once a day is enough to bring noticeable change to your face.
- If your lines are most prominent around your nose and the upper part of your face, working muscles in that region may help matters a great deal. To start with, place your thumbs near the corners of your eyes. Rest your other fingers on top of your head. Close your eyes and slowly move thumbs away from your eyes towards the temples. Hold the position for five seconds and release.
- Finally, you should also work the muscles around your lower lips. To do so, tilt your head upwards and purse your lips. Gradually stretch the lower lip so that it is above the upper lip. Stretch as far as possible, then hold the position up to the count of five. Release and repeat five times. Do it once a day.
These facial exercises may not be rigorous, but they sure are effective. Remember at all times to work different muscle groups in the course of your day since spot exercises don’t work well. With these exercises, you will get rid of marionette lines naturally and in a simple way. All that is required of you is determination and dedication. If you are not consistent, it will show in the mediocre results. If on the other hand you are keen to perform the exercises every day, excellent results are all the reward you need for your hard work.